(The post below is based on ideas shared for the Business Management Daily article "5 Essential Admin Skills for 2015". It was inspired by the talented administrative professionals I have had the pleasure or working with- and learned from- over the years. Happy Administrative Professionals Week!)
It takes a lot to excel in management. You are constantly being pulled in all directions; there is never enough time in the day. Picking the right Administrative Assistant can enhance your day-to-day grind and help you take your career to the next level. Picking the wrong one can slow your day or worse, sink your career. Keep in mind, many will see your Administrative Assistant as a reflection of you so choose who you promote or hire wisely.
Here are 5 skills that are important for (and come naturally to) rock star administrative assistants (guitar and sequins optional):
1. High comfort level with technology to make sure every project goes smoothly and the administrative professional can provide support you in a pinch.
2. Plays well with others; often they are the gatekeeper to those wanting to access their boss so it is important they get along well with their co-workers and don't play favorites.
3. Confidentiality is essential! He or she must intrinsically know what information to pass on- and when.
4. Comfortable multitasking on several high priority items at the same time with frequent interruptions.
5. Instinctively knows what his/her boss needs and takes initiative by staying one step ahead to ensure the workday goes smoothly.
These are just a few traits that separate a good administrative assistant from a great one.